Pages

Tuesday 12 November 2013

The Fussy Librarian

One of the biggest problems for readers and authors is to find each other. A brand new site called The Fussy Librarian aims to help with this. 

From their home page:

1. Enter your email address
2. Select what types of books you read
3. Indicate your preferences on profanity, sex and  violence
4. Get daily emails & enjoy great books
5. There is no step five*

This recommendation service has been going a month, and can only get better as the choices are refined and users give feedback. (I think people's definitions of mild profanity and non-explicit scenes of sex can vary wildly, and examples would help.)  Jeffrey Bruner says they plan to keep adding categories - there are currently thirty - and content options.

I think this could be good - I've joined, and you can too, here.

* I want a step five!

11 comments:

  1. I have to give this a try!

    Not that I need encouraging to buy any more books!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've given it a try - looks like a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone else think that fussy librarian looks as if she might fling off her glasses, let down her hair and toss the books in the air at any moment?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this looks good, too. I picked them up on Twitter a while back and they have even promoted my book. Lovely people! I've signed up as a reader, too, and you're right they do send interesting stuff.

    Cheers

    MTM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I hope it evolves to match all of my fictional needs.

    Does anyone else think that fussy librarian looks as if she might fling off her glasses, let down her hair and toss the books in the air at any moment?

    Looks to me as though she has had an improper suggestion from a reader. Curious how the mind interprets images! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've convinced me, Q - now the only question is how she reacts once she has got over this disagreeable surprise. Will she:

    a) Walk away with quiet dignity
    b) Make a withering comment
    c) Bash him over the head with a book?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being a smart if prim librarian with a sense of humour, she will offer a copy of Dickens's 'Great Expectations' and a comic starring the great detective 'Sex-ton Blake', suggesting they be read after a cold shower. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. I reckon you are half right; what about Great Expectations and Dealing with Disappointment by Elizabeth Crary?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very Good Lexi!

    I'm guessing that you haven't read the Sexton Blake books. I read a few as a lad. A colleague noticed an advert for Sex-Ton Blake while in Copenhagen, which amused us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for sharing this, Lexi. I'm taking a look.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ... and my book is eligible. So I'll be adding it once it gets its makeover :) Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete