Pages

Saturday 6 February 2016

TIME RATS 1 paperback


For the print edition of Time Rats 1, I decided to try Createspace. I've always used Lightning Source before, since I thought their product was superior, but I've recently been helping a writer friend with her paperbacks using Createspace, and was impressed by their quality. They have a sophisticated online preview system, which I found extremely helpful. Plus the set-up costs are quite high at Lightning Source, and with Createspace you only have to pay for a proof copy. Createspace provide a free ISBN, too.

That's my proof copy in the photos, and I'm very pleased with it. Ebooks are great, but there is something very nice about a physical edition. The paper is a little less smooth and creamy than Lightning Source's, but I can live with that. The main thing I would change if I could is the position of the barcode on the back, and unless you have your own ISBN, you are stuck with it where it is, and can't move it up and to the centre as I would have liked to do. But this is a minor matter, and I don't suppose readers will care.

I got the paperback ready while Time Rats 1 was doing its thirty day stint in Kindle Scout, thinking that if I was rejected, I could get the ebook and the print book out almost immediately. But TR1 was selected (woot!), and Kindle Press ask authors to delay the release of the paperback until they have launched the ebook.

7 comments:

  1. Looks great. I went with CreateSpace for The Baer Boys and when I discontinued my relationship with Legend Press I took the opportunity to revise Boomerang and republish the paperback of that one through CreateSpace. I like the quality, although the cover for Boomerang is just a tad less vibrant now. The cover for The Baer Boys is rather dire anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you and Legend Press were an item, Alan :o)

    I think Createspace has got better and better over the past few years. That's the Amazon effect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got in on the free deal with Legend when they were going by New Generation and they were working with YWO. First couple of years it was all free, then they started charging an annual fee to keep the title active. When the fee was more than my royalties I let it drop. Curiously, last time I looked they still showed Boomerang on their website. Anyhoo, CreateSpace was easy to work with and you don't have to reach a minimum to receive your royalties. With Legend they paid quarterly and usually didn't send the money until about four to six months after the quarter ended. Mailed, made out in British pounds. It was kind of cool the first few times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not so long ago, Amazon used to send me dollar cheques in the mail. I had to open a Citibank account just for them. It's so much better now, being paid electronically in GBP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Lexi, just wanted to ask you, if you don't mind my prying, what's the rough cost to use Createspace. I've had a look at it but I can't seem to find anything which is clear about the cost. Lots of people have asked me how they can buy a print copy of my book - I'd love to be able to provide them with one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne, there are no setting-up costs with Createspace, unless you want them to do the formatting etc.. The only thing I've paid for so far is the proof copy, which was £8.90, and that would have been cheaper if I hadn't opted for fast delivery. I'm hazy on how much I get per sale as yet :o)

      Delete
  6. Aah, that explains the lack of reference to cost then! I think I'll give it a go. Thanks for your reply. x

    ReplyDelete