Pages

Wednesday 1 June 2016

Earning out with Kindle Press

Yesterday I got my first royalty report from Kindle Press (my first royalty report ever, come to that). And it was good news.

The Trouble with Time (Time Rats Book 1) went on sale on 5th April 2016. Kindle Press advances are $1,500. In its first twenty-five days, TR1 earned $1,412.70 - but for some reason, UK (and European) royalties are not deducted from the advance, and TR1 earned £226.81 in the UK. So TR1 actually covered its advance, plus about $240.00, by the end of April. Sales and KU/KOLL reads of my other books have improved, too. My reader email list has grown.

TR1's current rankings aren't as good as they were for the first six weeks, but I know Amazon will be promoting my book later in the year, so I'm fairly relaxed about that. I'm getting on with writing Time Rats 2, which is the best thing I can do towards improving future sales.

My experience confirms for me that Kindle Scout is at the moment the biggest opportunity out there for most writers. It's not true you need a huge social media presence to be selected. You need a well-written book with a professional cover that Amazon thinks it can sell, and if you have a book like that, your chances of selection are high. As in the rest of life, luck plays a part.

I should add that not all Kindle Press books are doing well. Predicting what will appeal to readers is not a science. However, it seems likely to me that those books are still selling better than if they had been self-published.

11 comments:

  1. I'm glad it's working out so well for you!

    And looking forward to book 2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, FH! I'm looking forward to finishing TR2. Not too long now, I hope...

      Delete
  2. That's great news! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Judith. Feeling horribly smug now :o)

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the awesome sales! I'm pleased to hear a Kindle Scout success story. My book, Bitter Envy, is up on Kindle Scout right now and has 23 days left on the campaign. I never knew 30 days could seem so long...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with Bitter Envy - it looks good. Here's the link for anyone who wants to read the start and maybe nominate it: https://kindlescout.amazon.com/p/2GETN8KN3WE8

    ReplyDelete
  5. I strongly suspect part of the reason for the mixed successes of KS titles is a genre issue - I think a lot of writers submitting aren't that clear on what their own genre is, or it's a mix of a few, and cross-genre stuff is harder to market and more of a risky purchase for readers. I see a lot of books going into "thriller" and "urban fantasy" categories when they are maybe, um, not actually those genres at all? But the writer wasn't sure, or picked a category *after* they wrote the book. Genre fiction is king on Amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoops not logged into the right account - Anna McIlwraith here! Xox

      Delete
    2. Hi Anna! That's an interesting theory. You'd think Amazon would sort that out before publishing, as they are the experts. I think that the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender category is one to avoid, as readers may assume only GBTs will enjoy the book. (I've just checked one of my favourite books, Mary Renault's The Charioteer, and I'm pleased to see it's in Literature and Classics and not the gay ghetto which she would not have approved of.)

      I think covers are terribly important. There's one KP book I've read which is an excellent read, really good, and not selling at all well. Its cover is a bit strange and quite wrong for the genre. I keep wondering whether I should email the author...

      Delete
  6. Well done, Lexi! We knew you could do it. I'm not sure Amazon would like my slow pace. It seems I'm managing a book every 2 years. Not quite up to standard. Just put mine on your Also Boughts please :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anna. Kindle Scout has turned out to be one of the best buttons I've pushed :o)

      Delete